Sunday, August 14, 2005

Golfing in paradise

The one thing I love about my life is that there is always something new popping up.

Three weeks ago I found out they were having a golf tournament at my new job. Now, I have NEVER golfed before in my life and quite frankly I thought it sounded like the most frustrating sport in the world. I mean, what could be relaxing about hitting a little ball from here to a little, tiny hole way the hell over there?!?! And at home if I ever put on the golf channel it was because I wanted to take a nap and had trouble falling asleep. I mean really, think about it!

So being the 'new girl on the block' and hearing my department needed one more player for their team, I volunteered..............

Okay, a couple of things I need to point out. First, the company was raffling off a 42 inch plasma TV with a home theater system, plus an additional $5,000.00 in cash prizes. And the only way to win was to play in the golf tournament. Second, it was completely free and included 2 meals and all the beer you could drink. Third it was a best ball tournament. And last but not least, I found out the other members of my team were not golf pros...

So we played golf yesterday. We played at 1:30 in the afternoon in August in Florida!!! How stupid does that sound?? Do you have any idea how hot it was?? And believe it or not it didn't rain. (which we would have welcomed) Anyway, I was completely covered in sweat by the end of the first hole.

Come to find out it wasn't as bad as I originally thought it would be. I actually hit a couple of nice shots and sank a few putts. I had a few cold ones and some pretty decent BBQ after it was all said and done. And as for the TV and cash prizes.........

2 comments:

Milk Brain said...

sounds like your kind of party... free golf (who cares, really?) free beer and free food... hell sounds like something i'd go to! not that i've ever been to florida, but i've been to georgia and lousiana so i can atleast say that maybe next year they should start the tournament at 7 or 8 am... not only will it be cooler, but it'll give you an excuse to get loaded before lunch.

Snaggle Tooth said...

I see all that childhood miniature golfing finally paid off...