Thursday, March 27, 2008

What Are Teachers Supposed To Teach?

If you have read my blogs in the past then you will remember the tirades I have had regarding the property tax issue in Florida.

Well, the f'ing amendment passed. Governor Charlie Crist, who by the way, does NOT own a house in Florida, called it a victory. I ask, "For Whom"? Not him obviously, as HE DOESN'T PAY PROPERTY TAX!!!

But the good news is my property tax will be reduced by approximately $66.00 a year. The bad news is my husband is a county parks worker who was just informed that their workforce will be reduced by more than 33% by September & if he still has a job then his job will be part of a roaming crew. In other words, he will be required to travel to any park within the county on any given day whenever 'they' say so. ('They' being the suits that have no fear of having to roam away from their comfortable offices in Clearwater.) It sucks, some of the parks are over an hour away from the park where he currently works.

Okay, the amendment passed & we have to live with whatever happens. I can accept that. What I do not have to accept is what happened at my daughter's school today.

There was an article in today's St Pete Times about county park workers losing jobs due to the tax cuts. So when I got home, my daughter, who is in 5th grade, said she had to talk to me and she pulled out the article in the paper, which she highlighted. "Look", she said. "This is about Daddy's job, he's going to lose his job". I asked where she got the article and she replied, "From my teacher. He gave it to me because I told him that my Daddy worked for the county parks department". Then she refolded it & put it back in her backpack.

I am pissed off at her teacher. He shouldn't have given her that article. My husband & I are well aware of what may be in store for him because of this amendment passing. We have been for months. We should be the ones to explain the situation to our daughter, not her teacher! AND, it wasn't necessary to do explain at this time!!!

Why would he think it is okay to upset & worry a 10 year old?

NOTE: I asked Pete if Ry had showed him the article the teacher gave her & explained why. He said no, but that explained why when he picked up Ry today she asked if he still had a job!!!!!

AGAIN W-T-F??? (That phrase comes up ALOT)

Teach what you are paid to teach!!! Leave the other stuff to the parents!!!

8 comments:

CAM said...

I couldn't agree with you more!

I am amazed at what kind of crap the education system is putting out there these days. Being a Conservative makes it even harder, as most of the Ed system is very liberal (not that there's anything wrong with that) But why do they have to dive in to politics and personal views? Teach them the basics for heavens sake and let ME worry about the ethics and morals of my own family.

flleenie said...

I must say the few times I met her teachers, I did like them. I have heard awesome revues about their success preparing children for the transition to middle school...

But still, unless he was teaching a class on current events in Pinellas county, which we all know is not reality, he had no business giving that article to my daughter.

Informing her about something that could be a significant life changing experience is OUR JOB!!!

Omykiss said...

I think you should complain to the school. The teacher was well out of line ..... we are reading about the woes of the american economy ... what you write somehow makes it so much more real ... oh dear!

Snaggle Tooth said...

Current Events takes on new meaning here!

Melody said...

Oh my God! How dare your daughter's teacher give that article to her? Rarh!!!! That's p**sed me off. I would definitely go to your daughter's school and complain. It is your responsibility on how you decide to tell your daughter - if I was in your position I would be like you. Why worry your child? Obviously the teacher has no children of their own? It was a hit below the belt to say the least. Go and complain.

ANyway, on a postive note (*heehee*) I am here via Michele today. Enjoy the remainder of your weekend, whatever you choose to do.

Ciera said...

hi! I'm here from Michele's. I have to agree, that teacher was out of line.

Don't you just love how those "suits" set the rules for jobs they don't do and never have done??? Argh!

Jennie said...

This is one of the pocket full of reasons I homeschooled for years...I just want my kids to be taught um, MATH, READING, ENGLISH, ETC and then let loose to live life. Too many other wacky things dragged into it by politics and "educational professionals" who have agendas. They want to teach people how to live their personal lives (according to what, I'm not sure) but that's what parents and experiencing LIFE are for. Anyway, it's my first time here and I'm already yelling. :/ Sorry and sorry about the article. I don't think that was his place at all. He could have sent it home in a closed envelope for you if he felt so strongly about it. He probably didn't think much about it.

Shannon said...

Just another reason why I homeschool!

Michele sent me. :-)