Thursday, April 24, 2008

Christians-R-Us

First of all, I want to say that I am going to write about something that occurred at work today.

Second of all, I truly believe that religion & politics should never be the topic of discussion at the workplace, unless, of course it is about a politician who screws half of the high-priced hookers in DC & gets caught or the discussion is about some *ssh*le church pastor who gets his rocks off by molesting innocent children.

Third of all, I know that the co-worker with whom I had the discussion knows about my blog & will probably read it, but I still feel the need to express my feelings on the subject. I know that he is a Christian and will respect my views.

So, here is what happened:

I went into the break room to heat up my lunch. One of my co-workers was studying for a bible class. I asked if he was working toward a degree or if the class was for is own personal knowledge. He answered knowledge. The class was on the book of 'Revelations'. I have always been intrigued by the book of Revelations and the many different interpretations of it. As a matter of fact, that is not the only part of the bible that has intrigued me.

I told him that I thought it was an interesting book, and how various religions interpreted the passages differently. Talk about a mistake. I broke one of my own rules, "Never discuss religion in the workplace". However, it was not my intention to piss my co-worker off, only to discuss. But he got a little huffy, then asked more questions, to which I honestly replied... so it went...back n forth...back n forth... Then he said one of the worst things you could say to me, which was, "That makes me question your Christianity". Hello!!! What??? Are you serious?

I grew up in a VERY Catholic family. All 3 of my mom's brother's were priests. For 12 years I went to Catholic school. My mother was 'Mrs Catholic Daughter of America' for crying out loud! In other words, I was force-fed Catholicism from the day I was born. I was taught that the Bible was written by man but 'inspired' by God.

So, being the sceptical person that I am & also having been screwed by men, I have questioned that part. "Written by man"; "Inspired by God"; "Written by man"; "Inspired by God"; "Written by man"; "Inspired by God"...written by man...

Let's see, how many 'men', in this world, who have been 'called by God' have also been inspired to molest children??? Hhhmmmm...can we count them on one hand? How about two hands? No?? Let's face it, there are too many to count. So that is one reason I question the Bible.

Also according to the Bible, homosexuality is forbidden...it is a sin. So I ask, does that mean that anyone who is gay is evil & will not be allowed in 'Heaven'? The responses I have received were not favorable. So again I ask, what happened to, 'We are all God's children'? Isn't that in the Bible too??

When I was younger, religion was forced on me to the point that I rebelled. I did not want to go to church. I was a Christian, but not necessarily Catholic. Then my family experienced a tragedy, my Dad got cancer...and died. There it is! Lights out...the worst day of my life, because I completely lost my faith. How could that happen??? Why??? He was a great person who deserved to live!!! After the funeral, heartbroken, I hardened, clearly there was no God, He didn't exist, there was no after-life, when you died, you were gone...the end. Then really came my nightmare, I went on a 2 year rampage of self-destruction. It ended thru a professional tragedy that turned into a saving grace...I got laid-off, I moved to Florida & I slowly rebuilt my life.

It took me YEARS to regain my faith and believe in God again. It has been a struggle each and every day. I have built a new life for myself. I have married my soul-mate, had the daughter I never thought I would, sadly lost another daughter(RIP), gained a son, a daughter & 2 grand children and unfortunately lost my Mom(RIP).

The funny thing about writing this is that even though I wrote quite a bit about events in my life regarding religion, I haven't even touched the surface of most of the issues that haunt me to this day. Maybe I will, someday...

Inside I do not feel I should have to say this but, I think that other people might need to see it, so here I go, "I do believe in God. I believe that Jesus Christ is our Savior. I also believe that we are ALL His children & are ALL welcomed into the Kingdom of Heaven" (Unless of course, we choose otherwise)

5 comments:

Milk Brain said...

I would never, ever doubt anyone's belief in their faith. I was raised to respect others not degrade them. Everyone has their own life experiences and for believing things that they do. You're initial comment to your coworker seems fine to me. I often think the same things. Perhaps if he had more education in theology he would've have responded in an intellectual manner instead of blowing up. Who knows.

I too try and not discuss politics or religion while working or at a clients house. I have this one client that starts political conversations with me, which I don't mind really, but I don't agree with much of anything that he has to say.. he's Republican, and I am very much NOT republican. But to each their own beliefs, I know I won't convince him to think otherwise so I don't try. whatever. I think his conversations are more that he's happy to have somemone visiting him that can have an intelligent conversation. he's blind and lives alone, and in his 40's.

It's okay to not agree with what someone else believes, but not okay to blow up about it.

Snaggle Tooth said...

Many people weren't raised with the same critical viewpoints we were. We learned to allow other's their views, where some folks either purposely cut themselves off from those percieved to be in belief error, or try to convert them.

I often question the bible's interpretation, because there are so many versions(Hebrew to Roman, to Greek, to popular American English). Some people just have a narrower tolerance for that critcism, n don't realize they are being un-christ-like to treat some others as "unworthy."

It is a tough thing to discuss at work, though I have several times. We all have our transformations n revelations. Respect is key.

Don't beat yourself up about the result. The other person had a religous item at work. They were were judgemental without knowing your background. I hope it all works out later.

flleenie said...

For the record, the co-worker I am refering to is a Christian & I am not questioning his Christianity, nor would I ever question his faith.

flleenie said...

He said he questioned my Christianity because I questioned...as Alanis Morrisette said, "Isn't Ironic"

Andi said...

It is nice to see someone with the courage to say how they feel about Faith issues. :-)