Friday, April 18, 2008

sign the blue paper

When I got home today, my 10 year old daughter, who is in 5th grade, pointed to a blue paper on the kitchen counter & asked me to sign it. I said, "Sure, I'll sign it later", then continued unwinding from a tiresome week of work.

Well, it has been many hours later & I have finally read the blue paper. It is a notice from her school that states my child will be studying the subject of human growth and development. Then it lists several elements of the course such as body changes during puberty, reproduction, pregnancy & the birth process. In other words, my daughter will be taking 'sex education', for 3 hours a day, for 2 days.

I must say, this threw me for a loop. I have always been open & honest with my girl about these things. I know that I have talked to her about almost everything in that respect. Still, I expected the sex education classes to start in middle school not elementary school!!

After closely examining the blue paper, I have determined that there isn't a designated signature area, only a place to insert my daughter's name & my name. So I guess that means that she will attend sex-ed whether I approve or not.

Now I know why Ryann was trying to get me to sign the blue paper without looking at it!!

2 comments:

Snaggle Tooth said...

How embarrassing, Mom! Well, at least she has an idea or two about human functioning, already hopefully. I remember how it felt to discuss that stuff with the boys in the same room- turned me red!

Maybe because girls mature younger these days they decided to do it younger?

flleenie said...

Well, I told her that it was her decision if she wanted to attend the classes. I have been very open & honest with her about her body and sex.

I did ask her if she wanted to take the class or not. I know we have gone over this subject already, but she might feel 'left out' if she didn't attend. She said that she wants to attend.

I am ok with that!