Thursday, August 16, 2007

I already went to school

Well, school this year begins next Tuesday, August 21st. We got a letter today because, this year, our daughter was selected for 'Safety Patrol'. This evening, I found out there was a mandatory meeting Monday morning @ 9am. Kind of irritated me, getting a letter from school on Thursday for a mandatory Monday morning meeting... Luckily, 2 weeks ago, I asked for Monday off, because it was the last day of summer vacation, & I wanted to spend it with Ry having fun.

My BFF has a daughter going to a private school, they started yesterday, & had some homework today. Her kid liked the school yesterday, but today we're not sure.

I don't want to do 5th grade homework! I don't want to do any homework! When I was in school, I did not get help with my homework, not at all!

Today, as parents, we are expected & required to assist with homework assignments for our children, not that I don't want to help. I just don't like being told I have to to the work. I mean how does my child learn if I do & suggest everything & she does not think, visualize or imagine other possibilities?

5 comments:

Michael K. Althouse said...

My youngest is in has senior year of high school. The administration will breathe a collective sigh of relief when he graduates. they are prone to error and I am prone to point it out - and exact reparations. A low BS threshold for public employees gives mer all the justification I need.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

Well, that is amazing...When I was going to school it was a "NO NO" for parents to help! In fact if they found out you had help they gave you a very bad mark! Hmmmmm. When did all that get totally switched around. I cannot keep up! (lol)

MaR said...

I didn't get any help with homework either and it should stay that way!! Good luck with the new school year!

flleenie said...

When I was in school, there was no 'help' either, but now-a-days, it's different. Every year, since Ry was in kindergarden, my husband & I, have had to sign a contract promising that Ry, will do her best & that we will do everything in our power to ensure that Ry completes all of her assignments.

Snaggle Tooth said...

Signing a "contract" is pretty extreme... (what would happen if I refused to sign?)