Friday, October 19, 2007

How could I get mad?

I know I have posted before about my daughter's homework; which means I have to do HOMEWORK! I hate having to do 5th grade homework. I already went to school & graduated. My parents NEVER helped me with my homework. They never even asked about it, because when I was growing up, it was a well known fact, that every day you do your homework without questions.

The subject my girl always asks for help on is Math. Now I am a math geek. It was always my best subject & even now I work in an accounting department. Even though math is my subject, I have found that the powers that be have decided to change the names of different mathematical components and calculating methods, though the calculations remain the same. Sometimes, it becomes such a challenge!

I have a friend who went to college to become a teacher. We met when our daughters went to the same pre-school. Last Wednesday afternoon, my friend spent 2 hours tutoring my girl focussing on Math. The over-all evaluation said that my girl was proficient in math & had a good grasp of mathematical concepts. So...

I was pissed. I told 'my girl' that I knew she was not being honest & that I wanted the truth about her homework!!. She admitted to me that she was pretending to need help with her math homework because she wanted to spend more time with me (ouch!)!!

How cute is that? And, now, after knowing the truth, how could I get mad?

5 comments:

Unknown said...

That surprised me too. Kids are great at that! Thanks also for visiting my site! I'll have a look around here. :)

Milk Brain said...

that is sweet.. sometimes you need things like that to realize that you're working too much.. I get it from Evan sometimes too.

Snaggle Tooth said...

I think the next step is to set aside non-homework time every week to do something just with her so she doesn't feel a need to be that way. Play cards or something for an hour, so you won't have to do the extra homework!

flleenie said...

Right now I am an emotional roller coaster, so I sat my 'girl' down and said, if you need my attention & want to spend time with me, then just say so. But on the other hand I must admit...I spend every night at home with her and every Saturday & Sunday with her as well...so I ask...when is MY ALONE TIME?

Answer: NEVER!!! I'm a Mom, there will never be "My alone time"

Snaggle Tooth said...

Alas, she will grow and move away faster than you think! Then you'll go crazy trying to spend more time with her!